You are on my illustration website.
If it’s my graphic design website you want to see,
it’s here >>> agnesboulmer.com
A freelance illustrator, I live and work in Paris and nothing is dearer to me than sharing my wonder for the world through my drawings.
PASSION FOR FOREIGN CULTURES
I did my studies at the École nationale supérieure des Arts décoratifs in Paris, yet traveling has equally developed my taste for color and my sense of observation. I have lived in Germany and the United States (crossed seven times by car!), crisscrossed Asia for nearly a year and, from Congo-Kinshasa to Japan and from Madagascar to Tibet, have visited about 30 countries. These adventures have nourished my enthusiasm for new experiences and encounters, for the unknown.
My passion for foreign cultures first took the form of travelogues that were then exhibited at festivals.
These last few years, it has taken the form of collaborations with anthropologists and linguists, notably in illustrated books.
CIRCUS AND DANSE
My curiosity and my love of poetry also has taken me to the world of the circus and dance. These encounters with the performing arts led to illustrated cultural projects, books, illustrations, posters, objects, performances… Everything about them inspires me: bodies in motion, costumes, sets… but most particularly, whether in shows or rituals on the other side of the world, the wings, that place of transformation, of the so intimate and mysterious between-the-two.
PLANTS, ANIMALS AND OTHER FAVORITE THINGS TO DRAW
Increasingly filled with wonder at plants and animals, I notably collaborated, with two other illustrators, on the creation of cartels for the entire Branféré botanical gardens and zoological park in Brittany.
Flowers are probably what I most like to draw but I also find pleasure in drawing objects, cakes (that I eat afterward), rituals, vegetables, fruits, landscapes, faces, places…
MY FAVORITE TOOLS
My favorite tools are India ink and watercolors. These two media allow me to best explore what fascinates me: color and line. But I also very much like the versatility of digital coloring. I use one or the other technique depending on the project.
I also like to animate my drawings: seeing them become autonomous is one of the most amusing and magical experiences imaginable for me.
Under my real name, Agnès Boulmer, I have been pursuing, for over 20 years, an activity as art director and graphic designer, in particular in publishing. Bolstered by these combined experiences as graphic designer and illustrator, I like to mix typography, colors and drawings to create unique graphic objects.
to see my graphic design work >>> agnesboulmer.com
• 108 devinettes du Tibet (108 Riddles of Tibet), L’Asiathèque, 2019
Collaboration with the linguists and Tibetan scholars Françoise Robin and Véronique Gossot on an ancestral Tibetan tradition
• Learning from the Curse, Sembene’s Xala, Hurst & Co publisher, 2017
Collaboration with the British anthropologist and professor Richard Fardon on the work of the Senegalese author Sembene
• (Dis)cordes, carnet de voyages ((Dis)cords, travelogue), Édition du petit véhicule, 2015
At the request of the Sens dessous dessous circus company, graphic work on the creation of the show (Dis)cordes
• Petites élucubrations graphiques après avoir croqué le spectacle Mister Monster (Little lucubrations after sketching the show Mister Monster), artist’s book, 2012
Graphic work, from the theater and the wings, on Mister Monster, show created by the Anomalie &… company and Philippe Eustachon
• Ce que j’aime en toi (What I Like in You), collective work of Les Tribulants voyageurs, Éditions Alternatives, 2007
Illustrated travelogue on the theme of love and desire
• Carnet de voyage (travelogue), VediorBis, textuel, 2001
Tour of Europe in drawings for the changeover to the euro
Hurst & Co Publisher
Cie Anomalie &…
Cie Sens dessus dessous
Fondation de France
• Exhibition of the drawings of the book 108 devinettes du Tibet (108 Riddles of Tibet) on the occasion of the book’s launch, November 2019, Librairie-Galerie Impressions, Paris
• En dedans de moi (Inside me), participatory exhibition created in collaboration with Aurélie Galibourg, dancer and choreographer, parallel to the show Dedans mon corps (Inside my body) premiered in May 2018 in Corbeil-Essonnes by the Compagnie Desuète (traveling exhibition following the show’s tour)
• Exhibition of drawings done in Tibet, Festival des civilisations, INALCO, April 2016
• Exhibition of drawings of the creation of the show (Dis)cordes ((Dis)cords), premiered in 2015 at the Théâtre Antoine Vitez d’Ivry by the Compagnie Sens Dessus Dessous (traveling exhibition following the show’s tour)
• Exhibition of travelogues, head office of France Loisirs, Paris, 2009
• Festival Ici et Ailleurs (Here and Elsewhere festival), Brest, 2006
• Exhibition of travelogues, Reine de Saba space, Paris, 2005
• Exhibition of travelogues, Eaubonne library
• Festival de carnets de voyage (Illustrated Travelogues festival), Clermont-Ferrand, 2003 and 2004
• Festival Étonnants voyageurs (Astonishing Travelers festival), Saint-Malo, 2004
Un voyage dans la poche, festival de carnets de voyage (A Trip in My Pocket illustrated travelogue festival), Médiathèque Blaise-Cendrars, Conflans-Saint-Honorine, 2004
• Les coulisses de l’Opéra (The wings of the Opéra), at the Opéra Garnier (watercolors), 1993
Éditeur du site : Sènga la Rouge/Agnès Boulmer, 118, rue de Clignancourt • 75018 Paris • SIRET 404 315 335 00038
Site conçu par © Agnès Boulmer • développé par Julie Schiemer • hébergé par OVH
Photographies : © Sènga la Rouge • © Jean-Louis Blérol
Tous droits réservés pour toutes les images du site © Sènga la Rouge